Sunday, November 7, 2010

Want a good use for your kitchen scraps?

Well I have continued to search for ways to live greener and I have found yet another. I have been recycling for a while and my trash output has really been cut down. We do not have to drag the trash to the bins nearly as often as we did before we began this journey. I have to say I have also saved on garbage bag purchases since my recycling has begun.

When my husband and I had acreage in the past we had hogs and would save all of our kitchen scraps each day to feed them. Since we no longer have hogs to dispose of our kitchen scraps we have been tossing what cannot go down the kitchen sink into the garbage. So I began to think how can I reduce the things I am putting into the garbage. Composting! What a great way to not only properly dispose of scraps but to reuse them for a greater purpose. It is also that time of year when the leaves are piling up throughout the yard. I have decided that I would add composting to my daily routine. It doesn't take long to turn your scraps and leaves into a nutrient rich fertilizer for your garden and plants. You can use any fruit or vegetable scraps, egg shells, newspaper, and coffee grounds to mix with your leaves and turn them into a black gold. You don't really need to be fancy about it and purchase an expensive composter. I have seen composters made from old pallets secured together into a box shape. You just toss your waste into and add a little water for moisture and turn the pile about once a week with a rake or shovel. If you are short on space and want something a little less obtrusive you can purchase one or make one out of something a little smaller. I will attach some websites below for more information on composting. I hope you will at least consider looking into composting. What better way to feed your plants than with the fertilizer nature intended!

http://www.howtocompost.org/

http://www.compost-info-guide.com/make_better_compost.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment